____________________________________ On Hiatus ___________________________________

Sunday, July 25, 2010

La Meme Chose (IMM1)

So...I've decided to try this meme thing I've been hearing about.  I've seen a lot of other bloggers doing IMM posts, or In My Mailbox, and I've been lucky enough to have been receiving a lot of mail lately, myself.  The idea of a "meme" seems to be a common theme that many people share, such as everybody showing off all their new books and swag.  And it's not limited to books that come in the mail, but whatever you get and however you acquire it, it's all fair game.  This particular meme, In My Mailbox, appears to have been started by Kristi over at The Story Siren, and if I understand correctly, everyone participating in her meme shares their link on her page for everyone to see and visit.  Sounds like fun to me!

By the way, the French translation of meme is same; la meme chose would be the same thing.

The site recommends posting on Sunday's, which makes sense, because with no mail delivery on Sundays, it's the perfect cutoff/beginning.

So this week In My Mailbox....

I won a copy of Sea by Heidi R. Kling from Courtney at Courtney Reads...and I was especially excited that it turned out to be an autographed copy!!!!!!!!  So super-special thanks to Courtney for her fabulous blog and her amazing contest!!!!!!!  THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

In other news, I recently joined Netgalley, a site where reviewers can request and download digital galleys to read and review.

This weeks downloads for review are:
It Started with a Dare by Lindsay Faith Rech, release date 9/13/10

Here are my super-special-amazing-I-can't-believe-I-found-these finds:
I'm a huge fan of old paperbacks; the worn way they fit comfortably in my hands; the way they smell as if nobody's loved them in years and they've been lost, and finally I've found them and rescued them...

Some of you may remember Bill Cosby doing a show called, "Kids Say the Darndest Things!"  But Art Linkletter was the man that started it all!  Linkletter died this past May, at the age of 97.

John D. Fitzgerald, author of The Great Brain series--Mamma's Boarding House is an animated autobiographical account of how life continues after the death of his father.

And for the movie-fan in me, I found Move Over, Darling by Marvin H. Albert.  There's a picture of James Garner (*swoon*) holding Doris Day on the front.  Any of you who haven't taken the time to appreciate James Garner, lately, SHOULD!  I actually think David Boreanaz looks like a young James Garner (*swoon*).  I originally thought the book was based on the 1963 movie, which was a remake of the aptly titled 1940 film My Favorite Wife staring Cary Grant and Irene Dunne.  However, the book cover proclaims "Now a delicious 20th Century-Fox comedy..."  Even though I know what happens, I can't wait to read it--It's the classic story of Man thinks he's a widower; he remarries; his 1st wife returns...right after his second wedding...


And lastly, Barnes&Noble also has a huge *free* ebook selection, which I've been doing my best to keep an eye on and take advantage of.  They had a lot of the classics available for *free* download this week, so here's what I picked up for my Nook:







Tarzan of the Apes (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Edgar BurroughsMaura Spiegel

Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Mark TwainH. Peck

Grimm's Fairy Tales (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Brothers GrimmJacob Grimm,Wilhelm GrimmElizabeth Dalton,Ludwig Grimm
Wind in the Willows (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Kenneth GrahameGardner McFall
Secret Garden (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Frances BurnettJill Muller
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by L. BaumJ. Barbarese
Peter Pan (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by J. BarrieAmy Billone
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Lewis CarrollTan Lin
Treasure Island (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Robert StevensonAngus Fletcher
Call of the Wild and White Fang (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Jack LondonTina Gianquitto
Beowulf (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by AnonymousJohn McNamara
Cyrano de Bergerac (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Edmond RostandPeter Connor
Emma (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Jane AustenSteven Marcus
Great Expectations (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Charles DickensRadhika Jones
Ivanhoe (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Walter ScottGillen Wood
Pygmalion and Three Other Plays (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by George ShawJohn Bertolini
The Hunchback of Notre Dame (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Victor HugoIsabel Roche
Phantom of the Opera (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Gaston LerouxIsabel Roche
Three Musketeers (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Alexandre DumasBarbara Cooper
War of the Worlds (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by H. WellsAlfred Mac Adam
Sense and Sensibility (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
by Jane AustenLaura Engel




(\__/)

3 comments:

Kelli (I'd So Rather Be Reading) said...

Nice mailbox---happy reading this week!

nymfaux said...

Thanks!!! I've already finished Sea, It Started with a Dare, and Momma's Boarding House...and sporadically working through Sense&Sensibility :)

I'm planning to spread out the rest of the classics!

Carrie at In the Hammock Blog said...

i gotta say i love old paperbacks too!! enjoy!