____________________________________ On Hiatus ___________________________________

Saturday, August 7, 2010

A Quick Recap of 2010's Late Summer Movies

First off, I've got a bunch of reviews on the way...but I've been reading A LOT this week...I know, I need to prioritize.  Plus Follow Friday was SO awesome last week, that I decided to do it again...and I didn't want to miss out on any good/amazing/spectacular blogs (new or familiar)--So I hopped by everyone, and it just takes a while and a lot of dedication to go through over 100 blogs in one day--Seriously, this more of a marathon than a hop!!!!

And while I did have a very awesome guest post (THANK YOU LAUREN HAMMOND) and 2 (TWO)(actually THREE) Versatile Blogger awards, in order to be worthy of such awesome followers, I can't just go contentless...so...As a happy medium, I've decided to give you a some reviews of the movies I've seen lately.

So, what's worth seeing?

My overall favorite(aside from early summer's Karate Kid and the A-Team) has been Ramona and Beezus.

  • It has a great overall cast, and the two sisters especially fit well together.  I felt like it really captured everything I remember from the Beverly Cleary books I read as a kid.  It was a totally heartwarming, feel good, nostalgic movie, and something the whole family will love.


On the flip side, I was really looking forward to both Dinner for Schmucks and The Other Guys.

  • Both had great comedic casts and veteran actors.  And both kind of left me feeling kind of blah.  They both had some really good, funny parts, interspersed with weird, awkward, blah parts.  I'd recommend waiting to see them on tv.
  • Oh, and because of the awkward bits, you may not want to see either of these with anyone you're related to (parents/kids).
  • If you do see them in theaters, stay for the credits; they both have clips at the end.  You won't be missing much, but you might as well get your money's worth.



The Last Airbender.

  • I haven't seen the series, so it was totally new to me.  Not knowing anything about the series going in, I felt they did a really good job of introducing the characters and the storyline.  I loved the world they created, very visually appealing.
  • However, this was the SLOWEST action movie I have ever seen.  There was plenty of awesome fire/water/air/earth fights.  But they would yell out "Water" and water, or whatever element they were using would slooooooooooooooowly start flowing from them toward the enemy.  Seriously, I had to go to the bathroom, and I came back, and the water hadn't even hit the bad guy yet.  SLOW.  I'm just saying...


Sorcerer's Stone.

  • REALLY GOOD!!!  I always find Nicholas Cage a little on the weird side, but it works.  I would have liked to have seen a little more of him capturing the villains.  But a good, fun movie that everyone can enjoy.


Grown Ups.

  • A good old-fashioned comedy.  A great comedic cast.  Nothing too raunchy.  Just a nice movie that you can go and enjoy.  You can even enjoy with the kids.  Or your parents, as the case may be.


Get Him to the Greek.

  • I wouldn't take your parents.  Or your kids, as the case may be.  If you liked Forgetting Sarah Marshall, this has some of the same cast (some reprising their original roles)--Which kind of makes me think of the ensemble casts that do the Christopher Guest movies.  Decent cast, fun, with a little bit of raunchiness thrown in.  Just don't see this with people you're related to.


Salt.

  • Pepper jokes aside, I liked.  Ok, I actually kind of loved it.  It's a pretty kick-a$$ spy thriller.  It's got a great cast.  The only thing I'm not crazy about is the ending, which leaves it wide open for a kick-a$$ sequel.


Knight and Day.

  • Whatever you think of Tom Cruise (or Cameron Diaz), I liked this one.  It had a sense of humor and was a fun, action-packed, well, action movie.  Complete with a satisfying ending (Take that Salt).


Despicable Me.

  • Oops!  I thought it was Disney, it's actually Dreamworks, but I stand by my comparison--It would make a decent Disney movie.  Only so-so as a Steve Carell movie.  The minions are cute, and the kids will like it.  I definitely enjoyed it.  But sometimes you expect (or hope for) a little more, and it was good...just not more.


Twilight Saga:  Eclipse.

  • Definitely my favorite so far!!!!  I thought New Moon was a little slow, but I attribute that to it being a very quiet book--So much of it is in Bella's head, and I think that made it harder to adapt.  Eclipse didn't have any problems there, fast-paced and full of action and, um, pretty werewolves--Though, for the record, as much as I like Jacob, I don't see how anyone can think there was ever any hope for him.  Sorry.
  • The only things I would have asked more of would be more of Victoria's vamps--Although Bryce Dallas Howard, with her flowing red hair and pale skin, gave amazing visuals--she was in the movie so little, it really wasn't worth her taking over the role--We didn't see her enough to see a difference.
  • Oh, and although Dakota Fanning totally LOOKS awesome...considering she's such a talented actress (for anyone, let alone for someone so young), and especially since she had so few lines, I really thought she came off kind of hammy with her performance...It just didn't work for me.

Ok, there you go...that should keep you guys out of trouble for a little bit...I know these aren't everything I was hoping for, but I know there's some good ones coming.  (I'm talking about you TRON: LEGACY)(and RED)(and Scott Pilgrim vs. the World)(and Morning Glory)  Now it's just a matter of waiting.

But, in the meantime, if you can't wait that long, check out Jane Austen's Fight Club on YouTube (or click on the link in my sidebar).  I'm a struggling Jane Austen Fan, but I wouldn't hesitate to see this one for real!!!!

I'd love to hear what you guys are watching and waiting for!!!


(\__/)

16 comments:

Lisa said...

omg, you've seen everything, lol. I'm really wanting to watch Dinner for Schumucks, The Last Airbender (most for the boyfriend, lol) and The Sorcerer's Apprentice. I watched Grown Ups the other day and thought it was pretty good. Nothing outstanding, but it was pretty funny nonetheless. Of course I saw Eclipse when it first come and I definitely agree that it's been my favorite of the series so far. I loved all the bits with Jasper and Alice. They are so unbelievably adorable together.

strange_candy_reviews said...

Hey there, I'm following you back. Great reviews for the movies. I am waiting to see Salt, Knight & Day, and The Last Airbender. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World looks pretty hilarious. I haven't seen Eclipse, I was really disappointed with New Moon so I'm going to wait for dvd.

So, whats the Thorn Birds? I've never even heard of it....

Alissa said...

Hey, thanks for stopping by and following my blog!

To answer your question, the spacing for a colon follows the same rules as spacing after a period. Traditionally, people used two spaces after a colon, but now it's acceptable to use only one space, too.

Hope that answers your question! I'm also a new follower. Have a good weekend. :]

Also, awesome movie list. I've been meaning to see some of those.

Jessi said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Don't worry I wasn't talking about "followers" in a blogging sense, think posers. :)

I wanted to see Dinner for Schmuks but I've heard from everyone that it just wasn't that good. Bummer.

<3 Jessi

Danielle said...

Hi and thanks for stopping by my blog! Great post...I might have to do a movie one over on my blog. I see a lot of them. Karate Kid was by far my favorite of the summer...it was so good! I thought Airbender was good but the dialouge was horrible. They had to tell us what they were doing before or as they were doing it. I am not stupid lol. And why can't they wax Dakota Fanning's eyebrows? She isn't 10 years old anymore geez. Ok I'm done rambling on your blog haha. Have a great day!

nymfaux said...

Yea!!!!!! Thanks for all the comments!!!!

As for those of you still waiting for Dinner for Schmucks and The Last Airbender--I certainly don't want to discourage you from seeing either. Schmucks definitely has some funny parts--And Airbender has great visuals...I just find that sometimes I enjoy a movie more when I lower my expectations (They were really high for the Blair Witch; wasn't scared at all--Pretty low for The Ring, which still creeps me out when I think about it *shudders*)

nymfaux said...

@Alissa Thanks so much!!! I always get that feeling of my old typing teacher hovering over my shoulder whenever I don't put two spaces--Maybe this will appease her ;)

nymfaux said...

@Jessi *whew* glad I am not a poser ;)

nymfaux said...

@Danielle--Karate Kid was SO GOOD!!!! It has definite re-watchability, and I think totally stands up to the original.

You have free-reign to ramble on my blog anytime.

I can't say I've especially noticed Dakota's eyebrows, but I am definitely curious, now. Of course, my go-to opinion is that all eyebrows should have regular maintenance (including mine.)(soon) ;)

And if you think Airbender has bad dialogue, may I introduce you to Secret Life of an American Teenager?--I am totally hooked on the series and can't stop watching it, but every time it's on, I get a sensation a cross between my ears being about to fall off, and just being a little less smart than I used to be.

nymfaux said...

@Strange Candy
*sigh* The Thorn Birds *sigh*
Seriously, I could talk about it FOREVER. But here's the short version: Its an epic romance set around the turn of the century, that spans the lifetime of Meggie, the main character. It's written by Coleen McCullough, who I'm pretty sure is actually Australian. And it's set down under, the author uses words like: New Zealand, New South Wales, Sydney, and Queensland, and since I am a mess with geography, and I've never been to your lovely country...I just kind of visualize them all together.

I would say it was written around the late '70s/early '80s. In the early '80s it was turned into an EPIC mini-series (8 hours without ads), staring Australian actors Rachel Ward and Bryan Brown (it's where they hooked up), amongst a really great ensemble cast.

From what I know the book/mini-series have been pretty big over here, but it's not anything recent.

Let's just say, it could totally take Twilight in a fight of clandestine romance ;)

MsFairyFreak said...

Despicable Me is Dreamworks not Disney. I really want to see some of those movies. I just haven't had the time or the $$$

nymfaux said...

@MsFairy--Thanks! I will correct that!!

strange_candy_reviews said...

Hi Nymfaux,
Thanks for the info. i just asked my aunt if she had heard of the Thorn Birds. And wonder of wonders, she had. Apparently it was pretty huge back in the 80's or something. I feel like I've betrayed my country in some way by not knowing about this....
Well New Zealand is pretty close to Australia.

nymfaux said...

@Strange Candy--It's never too late to do your patriotic duty :) :)

I remember catching the mini-series on tv when I was a kid (sometime in the '80s), which is how I found out about it...I made my mom find the book for me. It was a little too old for me when I was in grade school, but I just kept remembering the mini-series, and when I picked it up again a couple years later I LOVED it. It makes any other romance FAIL ;)

I'm glad I could share :)

Kali. said...

I saw Despicable Me and thought it was adorable :)

Have you seen Inception? I HIGHLY recommend it!

-Kali.

nymfaux said...

:( I haven't seen Inception yet--I've been going back and forth about it, but I keep hearing such good things about it, that I think I'm probably going to cave soon :)