____________________________________ On Hiatus ___________________________________

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The Sea Can't Wait

So….You know what book I am totally loving right now?  Sea, by Heidi R. Kling.

It was so not what I expected…and so much more!!!!

I kind of didn’t know what to expect.  I’d never heard of it before, and then all of a sudden I was hearing about it EVERYWHERE!!!!  And that’s the kind of thing that always makes me intrigued…

I was a little hesitant about Sea, because the first time I heard it was, like, 10 seconds after I’d read Tera Lynn Childs’ Forgive My Fins.  And when I heard the title, Sea, I thought to myself, another mermaid book?  Until this summer, mermaids were pretty few and far between.  As a long time fan of Tera’s, I already had my favorite picked out in my head, which was only confirmed after I read Forgive My Fins.

But suddenly Sea was all over twitter and every blog I was reading, and I was starting to think that it wasn’t about mermaids after all.  I still wasn’t exactly sure what it was about, but I was totally curious by now, and then I happened to win a contest…So thanks to Courtney, from Courtney Reads, I became the proud new owner of Sea…which Courtney assured me was absolutely fabulous.

And she was more than right!!!!  Sea is Heidi R. Kling’s debut novel, and she totally blew me out of the water!!!!!!  (sorry, it was too true not to say it!)

Sienna’s life was kind of perfect, until a tropical storm took out her mom’s plane.  When she lost her mom, Sienna lost herself.  Three years later, Sienna doesn’t know what to trust anymore, and she doesn’t know how to put the pieces of her life back together.  Sienna’s father thinks returning to his overseas work, and bringing Sienna with him, will help them deal with their grief, and help their family start to heal.  Sienna is afraid that going back to the place her mother died, will only reopen a wound that will never close.  But Sienna doesn’t really have a choice.

When they arrive in Indonesia, Sienna soon discovers, she’s not the only one hurting and suffering.  She’s not the only one that Mother Nature has wronged.  And by putting aside her own helplessness, and trying to help other victims of the storm, other survivors—Sienna’s own wounds slowly start to heal.

Sienna’s journey is amazing and epic.  The characters are so vivid, and the landscape feels so real, I could hardly believe I wasn’t reading someone’s diary, or looking through a scrapbook.  Honestly, I had to double-check that there weren’t any actual pictures in the book, and I still feel as if I spent a night looking at snapshots from someone’s vacation.

Sea was a surprise and a delight, and definitely did not disappoint!!!!  I can’t wait to see what Ms. Kling comes out with next!!!!




(\__/)

4 comments:

Erika said...

I haven't had the chance to read Sea yet, but it sounds so beautiful. Thank you so much for your insightful review.

nymfaux said...

Thanks Erica!!! :) Glad you liked my review!!!--I really think you'll enjoy Sea--And I'd love to hear your thoughts if you do read it!!!

Liz. R said...

I keep seeing Sea around everywhere too but I have managed to read it yet! Your review has persuaded me to put it on my wishlist, thanks for sharing!

Beverly said...

Hey - just hoppin' by! I started the hop on Friday, but had to leave, just now getting back to it. Hope you had a great weekend! Stop by The Wormhole and say hi!