____________________________________ On Hiatus ___________________________________

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Something, Maybe...Definitely!

You know what I haven’t told you about lately???  The AWESOMENESS of Elizabeth Scott!!!!!!


I just finished my second Elizabeth Scott book, Something, Maybe and, I don't know if anybody has experienced this, but I have been having some Judy Blume flashbacks.  Just thrownin' that out there...There is just something about the way Elizabeth Scott can really get inside my head, in the same way that all those Judy Blume books did with all their big moments and tough decisions!!!!!!!  

Speaking of which....Not that I ever cry when I'm reading books...but this book has some serious tear-jerker moments.  Something, Maybe is the story of Hannah Jackson James.  Hannah is your normal, basic teenager who's mother is Candy Madison; a former model/TV actress a la Pamela Anderson, and who's father is Jackson James, a Hugh Hefner-esque playboy and celebrity mogul.

Everything would be fine in Hannah’s life, except that everything isn’t fine.  While no child wants to know the intimate details about their parents, Hannah's parents are the extreme.  And Hannah is does what any self-respecting teenager would do; she does her best to be invisible.

Hannah loves her mother, but not always her mother’s choice of career—Plus it’s kind of hard to invite friends over when your mom is doing an online webisode dressed in lingerie.  When Hannah’s father tries to get in touch after so many years of estrangement, Hannah can’t help but wonder if he’s just doing it to boost his television ratings.  Hannah is so busy being invisible, she can’t figure out how to tell her crush that she’s completely in love with him.  And could she be overlooking, someone who’s been there all along?  Whatever background you come from, it's so easy to  feel Hannah’s eternal hope and nagging fears about her absentee father and just wanting him to be there for her.

The story pulled me in right away, with the idea of Hannah’s character being trapped in the spotlight, and being blindingly outshined by her celebrity parents.  But the fact is, Hannah is a really a girl that most of us can identify with—being embarrassed, feeling invisible, and sometimes feeling nakedly visible.  Wondering if it means anything when you look at your crush, and he looks back …Or what it means when he remembers your favorite snack.

Hannah is constantly wondering what things mean, consumed with what she’s afraid other people are thinking, and Something, Maybe is really a journey of Hannah seeing past the exteriors, learning who she can rely on, and most of all seeing herself for who she is.

Elizabeth Scott really has a talent for taking characters and making them feel like a part of your life—That definitely puts her at the top of my reading list!!!

Take that, Judy Blume!!!!

(\__/)

4 comments:

daydreamerN said...

I reallly want to read this book. it is at my house. I just can not wait to get my hands on it!

nymfaux said...

I think you'll like it!!!!--I'm definitely going to keep an eye out for the rest of Elizabeth's books!!! I really enjoyed the two I've read so far!!!

Kah Woei said...

Sounds like an interesting read. Makes me think of those times when you're suddenly visible and wishing I wasn't. LOL.

nymfaux said...

Yes--exactly!!!--This character definitely had some of those moments!!!--And anyone who likes this, might also like Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs--Something, Maybe reminded me a lot of it--except with mermaids ;)