____________________________________ On Hiatus ___________________________________

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Ghost Huntress: The Counseling

So, if any of you are Ghost Huntress fans or have been watching the Books, Boys, Buzz... blog, you would know that this past week was the release of Marley Gibson’s fourth and newest installment, Ghost Huntress:  The Counseling.

I’d been hearing things about the Ghost Huntress series, good things, for a while.  So I put it on my ever-growing TBR list, until I could finance a series…Books prices tend to add up when you want to read everything in the world.  I’m just saying…

Then I heard that the setting for The Counseling was in the Sierras.  [SIDENOTE:  I used to work at a camp outside of Yosemite, and I’ve been getting homesick for it.]  And everything I was reading about The Counseling only made me want to read it more, leaving me with a tough decision.  I LOVE series, but I HATE reading books out of order.  And that pretty much made up my mind—As excited as I was about The Counseling, and as much as I REALLY wanted to read the series, my tangible TBR list was sitting here, staring at me, telling me to just be patient.

Yeah, so I was patient for about two seconds, when I found out that NetGalley had a galley copy available for request.  All my arguments went out the window as I downloaded with the speed of light, and tore through it almost as fast.  Ok, I cannot read at the speed of light, but I raced through it.

*sigh* I love good books, good authors, good things…and The Counseling was definitely all of those.  While I would definitely recommend reading the entire series, which is what I plan to do, I think starting at the end is almost as good.

One problem that usually comes up with starting in the middle of a series is that you don’t know the characters, or their bffs, or any of their relationships, story arc, etc…  But it turns out that I picked up the series in the perfect spot.
Kendall Moorehead ghost hunts with a group of her friends.  But Kendall isn’t just any ghost hunter, she’s psychic.  She sees and hears ghosts, and knows what they’re feeling.  In The Counseling, Kendall has just gone through some major life-and-death trauma and her parents have decided to send her to a retreat in the Sierras for Spring Break, a camp for extra-special kids with psychic abilities like Kendall.  And there, Kendall can get perspective and guidance from some authorities on the topic…and meet some new friends.  :)

Like I said, if I was going to jump into a series, this is the perfect spot—Marley was great about giving the background for the character, but I didn’t have to worry that I was missing any innuendos, because Kendall was in a completely new place with completely new characters, and I could get to know everyone at the same time.  And speaking of great timing, this is the perfect book if you’re starting to get into the Halloween spirit!

The Counseling is a fun, fast-paced read that kept me flipping the pages as fast as I could to see what was going to happen…And now that I know…I can’t wait to pick up the rest of the Ghost Huntress series to catch up on everything that’s already happened!!!!


(\__/)

*Special thanks to NetGalley and HMH books, cover courtesy of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.*

4 comments:

thebookwurrm said...

You know, I've been seeing this series around but for some reason, it doesn't appeal to me all that much. But I totally know what you mean by series and reading them all. I hate it when I find a book and it's not the first in its series. And I totally agree with the "I hate vegetables" in your profile. Haha.din

nymfaux said...

:) vegetables are SOOOOO overrated :)

as for the series, I wasn't sure at first, either, but this fourth book was REALLY calling to me--and I've been trying to think of something to compare it to--It's a quick read, but a lot more depth than the teeny-bopper YA I used to read--I think maybe more in line with Meg Cabot's Mediator series...Which is also about ghosts, now that I think about it. Anyway, except for Tera Lynn Childs, all the other Buzz authors were new to me, but I've loved everything by them that I've picked up...anyway, no pressure--we all have different taste ;)

Marley Gibson said...

Thank you for the awesome review! I'm so glad you loved the book and I hope you're hooked on the series.

All the best,
Marley = )

nymfaux said...

*BIG SMILE* !!!! :) Thanks Marley!!!! I'm SOOOOO glad you liked it!!!!--I'm definitely a fan now!!!!! And definitely hooked on the series!!!!!! :)